Tuesday 2 March 2010

Farmers Market


Taken at the Edinburgh farmer's market on 20 February 2010. One of a series that is something of a departure for me in terms of subject matter. I have been aware that I have been a little reluctant to point the camera at people. Why you may ask.
I have given that some thought and come to the following conclusion.
When my kids were small I took lots and lots of photos of them (another project at the moment is digitising this huge archive). The best of these for me were unposed and very natural. However at some point they became very aware of the camera and the performing in front of it began. Beyond the performing was the hand in front of the face stage i.e. don't take my picture. So I just seemed to stop.
The market last week was a revelation. I openly walked about with the camera snapping away. No one appeared to object. No one covered their face or turned away. I just got on with what I wanted to do and everyone got on with what they were doing.
The above image is my favourite. Obvious that I'm poring over and trying to emulate the work of Bresson at the moment!

4 comments:

  1. As you know, I like this and your other shots from the Farmers Market. And if you're going to be inspired by someone, there is none better than Cartier-Bresson.

    Personally, I wouldn't recommend taking photographs of people. Particularly without their permission ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I've just seen the anonymous comment on your first entry. Interesting that someone has gone to the trouble of seeking you out and posting that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @birthdayboy... the question is which one of the inner circle is it. May even be the head honcho himself (and I thought he was better than that) I'm the bitter one? ...

    ReplyDelete