Monday 8 March 2010

Why so serious?

Another use-up-holidays day. Trip to the Dean  to see the new Diane Arbus Exhibition. Didn't as it was closed because of CS strike (also closed tomorrow). SNGMA ground floor open only, therefore had to force myself to go to the cafe for coffee and a bun. Some more shots on Flickr
Just realised - even if the Dean had been open the exhibition doesn't start until 13 March (idiot!)


Anybody see this in The Sunday Times yesterday - I'm a photographer not a terrorist! If you feel strongly about this you can have your say on The Sunday Times website or the official site - photographernotaterrorist.org

2 comments:

  1. Paolozzi, obviously, but I'm not familiar with that particular fellow.

    I had half a notion of going to the galleries today, but didn't. Just as well. We saw a major Arbus exhibition in Barcelona a few years ago. There was a lot of interesting biographical detail and various documentary exhibits which were interesting, but I have to be heretical and say that I found the photographs hard work. This may have been because I was so familiar with them... It may have been because of the effect of descending from a glorious Barcelona day into the Arbus gloom... Perhaps Edinburgh and the Dean will be more conducive to reverential appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dramatic shot, I like it.

    It's years since I saw any quantity of Diane Arbus and I have a memory of serious and heavy images that I found hard work. As I say it was a long time ago, probably thirty years so I would probably have a different opinion now, I should take another look.

    This 'phototerrorism' thing is getting out of hand. In this, the most watched and controlled society in the 'free' world the government is pushing the boundaries too far.

    Todays proposal that all dogs must be microchipped and insured is a non-starter. Those who keep dangerous or intimidating dogs certainly won't be complying will they?

    ReplyDelete