Tuesday 22 June 2010

Words


Well the no title no words thing didn’t last long!

Not much happening really. Well I suppose there is in the arts world, but I can’ t really be bothered talking about work (currently it’s me time and not something I want to be thinking about). Film Festival ongoing this week. Some good stuff, opportunity to see some (passes), but I tend to wait until they are shown at the Filmhouse over the coming months   All of the various Edinburgh Festival programmes have now appeared (apart from the visual arts one) which is great. I ignore the indigestible Fringe until the reviews start. Taking time to work through the rest and mark-up what I want to see/do. You have to be quick of the mark these days as some stuff sells out very quickly (popular/populist). Maybe I should start a recommendations section – probably little point as it would end up being what I like which may not be what others like, though you couldn’t go wrong (assuming you like high energy dance and the Gershwins) with Grupo Corpo and Porgy & Bess (both in the Edinburgh International Festival). Also the programme at Dancebase is usually good if you like modern dance in bite size chunks.

6 comments:

  1. Films are fun- I saw Tilda Swinton being interviewed on Charlie Rose last night. (She has a new hairdo with makes her look like Dave Bowie!) She talked about a new film she helped make and she is in - 'I am love' just opened in the US and looks good from the previews. I like her and look forward to seeing the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen - you probably know already that Tilda does the more commercial stuff to help support her independent work such as 'I am love'. We (Scottish Arts Council)are currently working with her (& Mark Cousins) to deliver work of the '8 1/2 Foundation' on a project to introduce young children to world cinema (has to be better than a diet of cartoons for this age group).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know - I really do not know much about her- but now I like her even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great image. I'd be happy to have your recommendations. It doesn't matter that it's what you like. I never end up seeing anything as it's all too overwhelming so some pointers would be welcome.

    Re your comment on the lensbaby. We are well overdue for meeting up for a pint. Mr SD and I are in Edinburgh next weekend. I haven't checked what he's doing but I'd be happy to bring the lensbaby and bits so you can have a fiddle with it. I feel like I know you but we haven't got together yet and Mr Duck and I keep saying we must make an arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. imp - Festival recommendations to follow. Meeting up sounds good. Hows about Saturday morning 10.45 Festival Square followed by light refreshments at a location of your choosing. I have arranged something special (complete with international superstars), so make sure our on time.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have email you and sleepyduck to arrange something.

    ReplyDelete